Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Band of Brothers Reflections

Sense I was already a big WWII junkie even before I read the novel, most of the stuff I read in that book came to no big surprise. However what I have learned is the harsh boot camp training all the recruits had to suffer through. The drill instructors were really harsh and brutal not to mention the fact that almost everyone hated their guts. I wonder if the same thing is happening to modern day soldiers in boot camps or if their policy has changed at all?

3 comments:

  1. Yea it must have been terrible going through boot camp during WWII. I don't think it has really gotten any better for recruits going through boot camp. At Boy's State, the marine who led my county told us about going through training. They would have to stand in lines very close to each other for hours on end and could not make a sound. Life has not gotten any easier for recruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a totally valid and interesting question; are current boot camp drill instructors super harsh and mean like they were back in the day? Hmm. Alex, I would suggest to you that you ask someone! Find a soldier who has been in boot camp and ask them if their drill sergeant was super mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting question Alex- during the movie "The Good Soldier" remember the part where the soldier was telling us in boot camp they are "trained" to want to kill humans- because its not something that is innate. So maybe they have to be mean? And maybe things haven't changed because they need to remain the same to produce a certain type of soldier?
    I am no expert on this matter- so I could be completely off base. But interesting to think about. Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete